Benefits to the community
STEPS has a significant community benefit in the Luton and Central Bedfordshire area.
- STEPS reduce homelessness by preventing people from being discharged from hospital without accommodation.
- STEPS reduces costs to the NHS as ward staff work with STEPS, reducing potential discharge delays. STEPS has a specific discharge lead on wards allowing them to identify reasons for admission that would lead to possible delays in discharge and address it from the outset
- STEPS direct contact with the local council results in quicker appointments for patients, reducing the length of stay on a ward
- STEPS provides expertise in housing, benefits and access links to floating support services, ensuring people receive timely advice and support. STEPS has close ties with numerous secondary services, including Central Beds Council, hostels, and Resolutions (drug and alcohol service), resulting in quicker discharges and reducing the risk of readmission
- Appropriate support services are put into place before discharge
- By attending the Mental Health Housing Forum, STEPS helps find alternative accommodation for people needing rehoming