Benefits to the community
Roots to Recovery has a significant community benefit in the Luton area.
- We are an essential voluntary sector social prescription referral partner. To date, we have received over 2,000 referrals from mental health trusts, GPs, clinicians, and community groups to help reduce social isolation and promote well-being for community members, improving outcomes and reducing the need for health and social care interventions and crisis management
- We improve Luton’s deprived residential areas, which have high antisocial behaviour. By creating sustainable, growing spaces, we help reduce fly-tipping and food poverty. Our gardening and maintenance community team work with the local authority to identify areas to build pocket gardens and raised beds and plant these with fruits and vegetables that the local community can help themselves once ripe. We provide free gardening and maintenance support to vulnerable residents in council accommodations to help maintain their gardens.
- R2R helps increase community fresh food production. We grow 600kg of fresh produce yearly to support the local community, community kitchens, and food banks.
- We deliver educational workshops and talks to community partners and schools on environmental conservation and the benefits of growing vegetables and healthy eating.
- R2R is our very own long-term solution to tackling unemployment locally. We get members work-ready in a holistic and non-forced environment, improving health and wellbeing through meaningful contributions across volunteering and paid employment opportunities. R2R volunteers donated 12,000 hours over the last three years.